Wednesday 22 February 2012

i'm a bookworm and i always have been. there's no denying it at all really. i think it get it from my mum because she's always been like that and used to tell me stories about how she would pretend to be sick when they had to play sports in school and then hide behind a tree and read a book. i've always been a little like that. as a kid, i used to nag her to take me to the library and i'd borrow a bunch of books. if it was chinese, she'd read me it, if it wasn't i would curl up with it.
i don't think it's a bad habit at all. in fact, i think reading is one of the best things a kid could do. whilst i must say that i should have spent a little more time outside being active, there's no denying that reading really formed me. as i grew up i became someone who knew more (not intellectually, but i meant i matured faster mentally) than a lot of my other peers. i might have acted like a child sometimes but i always knew the reality of the world. i had my own morals and i knew enough about society to analyze everything. i wasn't a brilliant writer until about the tenth grade when i really started writing. i carried around a notepad to write poems in, i started writing on blogs again (my first blog was in the sixth grade but i got suspended for it; freedom of speech my buttocks), and i wrote short stories.
going into my senior years, i think i got into quite a bit of trouble sometimes and gained a few raised eyebrows from people because i was writing about pretty controversial things for a sixteen year old. while other people were still writing about, typical romeo and juliet situations, i wrote about homosexuality, suicide, depression, homeless situations and run aways. a really great english teacher i had at school actually made me change my original hsc short story about a christian girl discovering her sexuality in a latin american woman, saying that people might find it offensive. ironically she 'okayed' my story about a small town girl forming a lesbian bond with a city girl. i guess the second version was less graphic and didn't play on religion.
on another hand, my extension english teacher was thrown with my short story about necrophilia, murder and insanity. while other people wrote four pages, i ended up getting carried away and giving him seventeen. i remember nights when i was genuinely scared of one of the characters i had created; josefin.
my extension two teacher got forty-two pages worth of a peter pan revisionist story about evil, beauty and social stigma against lesbians. yes, i do like to write about religion and sexuality a lot. oops?


this is generally what my study looks like. well, the bookshelf anyway. the littlest pets couch is my neices but all the story books and novels are mine and my sister's. as for the encyclopedias and fairytales. the chinese books are mum's. i actually have another one upstairs and a few stacks next to my bed, but this gives you a general gist of what a hoarder i am.


obviously, this is the book series that i can't stop raving about. so excited about the movie coming out and, since i'll be in LA, i can pick up some merchandise from hot topic too. while i was taking this photo, i also found my cardcaptor sakura figurine. unrelated and random, but it was too perfect not to sit her on it. i also tried it with my other favourite book, unbearable lightness.


aren't they freaking adorable? i love those figurines so much. and that book. warning though because it's extremely triggering. it's very descriptive and brutally honest so i only recommend it to people really open to the subject of eating disorders and people who won't be triggered by it. it's extremely real. there's not a second when you doubt its honesty.
and... this is the book i'll be reading tonight!


i can't wait to get the rest of this series. it's not the best written but content wise it's so 'asdfghjkl'.



3 comments:

  1. you are really a bookworm! fashion-at-mars here! hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you have an amazingly awesome taste it books!from,
    our-perfectimperfections :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg! i want to have my own library like yours! and yeah, i also do love your figurines :)) btw, just want to know if you have read the book Wintergirls? the story is also about eating disorder and stuff... well, yeah I've read that already :D and yeah, I would just like to share that I've finished The Vampire Academy series (I mean, I've already read them all) so...there. just sharing :D

    vogue-royalty.tumblr.com

    ReplyDelete